Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hackett refuses to back down, stands by GOP/bin Laden comment

Yesterday The Graduate posted about Paul Hackett's comments in the Columbus Dispatch.  Of note was this one:

"The Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious fanatics that, in my opinion, aren't a whole lot different than Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world," he said. "The challenge is for the rest of us moderate Americans and citizens of the world to put down the fork and spoon, turn off the TV, and participate in the process and try to push back on these radical nuts - and they are nuts."

The Ohio GOP sent out their attack dogs, and Hackett didn't budge.  Meet me on the flip...

The Ohio Republican Party Chairman (boy, THAT'S an envious position these days!), Bob Bennett, called the remarks "hateful" and "incendiary" and asked for an apology:

"Paul Hackett's attempt to compare Christian conservatives to terrorists is abhorrent and completely inappropriate. These intolerant views have no place in the public debate, and I hope his fellow Democrats reject this divisive hate speech. Hackett has shown repeatedly that he will say or do anything to get attention, and it's unfortunate that views like his are embraced by the Democratic Party. I think, Mr. Hackett, you've once again proven who real `radical nut' is."

Standard-issue GOP intimidation.  Well, you're dealing with a Marine:

"I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it. Equal justice under the law for all regardless of who they are and how they were born is fundamental to our American spirit and our American freedoms. Any person or group that argues that the law should not apply equally to all Americans is, frankly, un-American."

"The Republican Party has been hijacked by religious fanatics, who are out of touch with mainstream America. Think of the recent comments by Pat Robertson - a religious fanatic by any measure - that the United States should assassinate a democratically elected leader in Venezuela, and that Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment because Sharon wished to trade land for peace."

"Since the Republican Party has been utterly unable to stand for something positive, they have created an atmosphere of fear and intimidation, and have pandered to religious fanatics not to vote for something they believe in, but to vote against their fellow Americans with whom they disagree. Those among us who would use religion and politics to divide rather than unite Americans should be ashamed."

Hackett's team sent this to my email within a couple hours of the release.  That's how you deal with this crap.  Quickly, honestly, and without a hint of apology.  The Ohio GOP thinks they can turn Hackett into the same caricature they manufactured for Dean, but it's just not gonna happen.

I wonder if Hackett's marrow could be donated to some of our Beltway insider Dems?  Maybe that can happen when he's elected to the Senate this fall.

Update [2006-1-16 20:18:34 by dday]: For those single-minded of purpose on Alito these days, let me remind you that Hackett came out against Alito early and forcefully, and linked him to DeWine. (Also mentioning in the press release that DeWine also supported Harriet Miers!)

Update [2006-1-16 22:20:47 by dday]:: Add someone else to the Fighting Dem list today - LINK

Hacket is absolutely right!

It was once my practice to never insult another person's religion or their politics. I might argue politics, but never religion. 

That old practice is changing.

I am through being polite to religious whackos and fascist conservatives.

I am tired of listening to the crusading-crackpots whine about how persecuted they are in America. If that is the experience they wish to have, it can sure be arranged.

I am not talking about all Christians here, nor am I talking about all conservatives. I do not consider all Christians nutty, nor do I consider them a danger to us all.

While I do no agree with most conservatives on much, I do not consider them insane and inherently untrustworthy.

We all know who the whack-jobs are. We have known for years.

I was always OK with them believing whatever they needed to believe. But now they have gone to far.

I am through being polite.

I hope Hacket doesn't back down, and I hope that other Democrats get a spine on this issue. Define just who the whack-jobs are and tell what their professed beliefs are.

They are a very slim minority of the Christian faith, if what they profess is elucidated out-loud. They are crazy, and that can be made clear with their own words.

 

 

No comments: