Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Imus is an idiot

Wed Feb 08, 2006 at 11:45:26 AM GMT

Yes, Imus has weighed in on proper funeral etiquette this morning, i.e., condemning those who would dare celebrate Coretta Scott King's life at her funeral. He's shocked I tell you, shocked!

I guess I haven't been to enough funerals to understand the format. I would have thought that if the friends of a soldier killed in Iraq stood up at that soldier's funeral and mentioned that the deceased supported the Iraq Debacle, and that that soldier was proud to have died in a cause he believed in, that that would be appropriate. I would have thought that if the friends of someone killed in 9/11 stood up at that person's funeral and mentioned 9/11, that that would be appropriate.

I would have thought that friends and family would be the ones to determine how to celebrate the life of the guest of honor at any funeral. I'd have thought they would after all be the ones in a position to know that person and that they'd know what that person might want.

I would have thought that, Imus you twit, because it's common practice in the entire civilized world. Joseph Lowery and President Jimmy Carter were personal friends of Coretta Scott King and her family. That means they get to talk about her life and her work however they deem fit. Not you buddy. Just who the hell are you to tell them what is and what is not appropriate? Who the hell are you to tell the friends and family of anyone what they 'ought to' say and why do you think anyone gives a shit what you think about it anyway?

I usually enjoy Imus in the Morning. It's a fun show, they have great guests, nice way to start the news cycle of the day. But, if they're going to try and shamelessly make hay out of this, I think I'll do without, at least for the rest of the week. From now on I'm a purely Rachel Maddow and Mark Riley morning person. And just in case, I'll e-mail them at imus@msnbc.com and tell them why ..

 
These people like Imus and Tweety Matthews show nothing but ignorance when they criticize the funeral of an African-American Civil Rights Icon for being political. The civil rights movement was largely born and carried out from the pulpits of African American Churches. Here is where the message of equality was re-born, thank God.
 
I guess these guys have never been to many black funerals, nor do they personally know many of the old street fighters for civil rights.
 
Maybe they should shut the hell up, unless it is their funeral.

No comments: