Friday, December 01, 2006

Man burns himself alive to protest war

I have actually thought if doing something similar....

I admire this man's courage and conscious.

Man burns himself alive to protest war:

CHICAGO (AP) -- Malachi Ritscher envisioned his death as one full of purpose. He carefully planned the details, mailed a copy of his apartment key to a friend, created to-do lists for his family. On his Web site, the 52-year-old experimental musician who'd fought with depression even penned his obituary.

At 6:30 a.m. on Nov. 3 -- four days before an election caused a seismic shift in Washington politics -- Ritscher, a frequent anti-war protester, stood by an off-ramp in downtown Chicago near a statue of a giant flame, set up a video camera, doused himself with gasoline and lit himself on fire. 'Here is the statement I want to make. ... 'If one death can atone for anything, in any small way, to say to the world: I apologize for what we have done to you, I am ashamed for the mayhem and turmoil caused by my country.'

'This man killed himself in such a painful way ... to get our attention...,' said Jennifer Diaz, a grad student researching Ritscher's life. 'I'm not going to sit by, and I can't sit by, and let this go unheard.'

No comments: