Thursday, January 04, 2007

Can't You See? Crucial Differences Too Many on the Left Seem to Miss


Neither the far left nor the far right is ever patient or wise. Isn't that the very definition of extremism?

However, I will say this. The Left has never scared me. The Right scares the hell out of me and most people I know.

I do not buy that there is no difference in the Democrats and the Republicans, especially these Republicans.

That kind of thinking, and election machinations in Jebistan, got us into this mess in 2000

Can't You See? Crucial Differences Too Many on the Left Seem to Miss:

It is often said, as a way of proving that the Democrats are no different from the Republicans: 'The Democrats voted for war, they funded war, they voted for the Patriot Act... They are not different; they are the same. Hoping they will be different is unrealistic and foolish.' That's a direct quote from a comment on one of my recent essays in which I argued that the Democrats' newly one power in Congress is an absolutely essential weapon of ours in the battle against the Bushite evil. But one hears variations on that argument all the time.

And I just have to scratch my head and ask: When the Democrats do these things --and I acknowledge that they've done often done such things since 2002-- can't you see that they are not doing them for the same reasons as the Bushites?

Can't you see that the field of forces in which these people are operating compels them to go directions that they'd prefer not to go? I mean it 'compels' them, assuming we grant their priorities, which is to survive politically.

No comments: