Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ron Kovic: Surging Past the Tipping Point


Kovic is spot-on.

On with the year of building, massive protests: go local and federal.

It really is all about timing, and now is the time!

Truthdig - Interviews - Ron Kovic: Surging Past the Tipping Point:

By Joshua Scheer

In an interview with Truthdig research editor Joshua Scheer, Ron Kovic, author of “Born on the Fourth of July,” argues that Americans this week have a patriotic and generation-defining duty to speak out against Bush’s proposal to escalate the war in Iraq with more U.S. troops.

Truthdig: I understand you’re very incensed by Bush’s intention to escalate the Iraq war with a troop surge.

Kovic: Absolutely. This week is a very crucial turning point in the war. We’re being led in a very reckless and dangerous direction. I don’t want to see more men and women come home like me—in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives. How many more have to die in a war that makes no sense? I feel like I’m seeing the mirror image of another Vietnam unfolding all over again, and I think we have never needed to break that silence and begin to speak more than we do now.

No comments: