Monday, June 19, 2006

That's Not Christian! : My Republican Father Hated This War

My Republican father, hated the Bushies!

That�s Not Christian! � My Republican Father Hated This War:

"My father isn't living this year, except in my heart. And so it is a sad day for me. But indeed, he helped me to understand the difference between right and wrong, and to recognize how the decisions we make today can affect the rest our lives�but also, and this is something that George Bush and his supportors either can't or won't admit, how those decisions affect the lives of other people, too.

My father called himself an 'old-fashioned fiscal Republican', meaning, he wasn't keen on social spending for the faceless public although, as was obvious to all who knew him, he could never say no to an individual in need, even at great cost to himself.

Daddy voted for both Bushes, but in the last years of his life, he grew increasingly unhappy with Bush Jr's war habit. Living for most of his life in a naval area, and having been a young sailor long ago in WWII, my father could really identify with all those fresh-scrubbed faces of military men and women flashed on the news, young people who used to be individuals but were now one of what some like to call 'a number': US casualties in Iraq. He didn't see them as just statistics, but as well-meaning kids who'd had no idea, when they signed up, what they were in for."

No comments: