Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The other Israel lobby



What I cannot understand is the idea that Israel is a safe place for all the Jews of the world to go to, in case of wide spread Jewish persecution, like the Holacaust.

WTF is that hallucination about?

The other Israel lobby Salon.com:


Dec. 19, 2006 This past June, on my last day working as a speechwriter for the Israeli government -- first at the United Nations and then in the prime minister's office -- I met with Prime Minister Ehud Olmert in his private office at the Israeli parliament to discuss a speech he had just given to the U.S. Congress. The speech, which I helped write, was largely about the future of U.S.-Israeli relations, and we discussed how it had gone over. Also at the meeting was a high-ranking official in the Israeli Foreign Ministry, and when we left the building together, he told me that the next day officials from the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the powerful lobbying group, would be visiting. He asked if I had any suggestions about what to tell them about how they could more effectively help Israel in Washington.
'

Some people would say that maybe the best thing would be for them not to be so reflexively pro-Israel on every issue,' I said.

He laughed. 'Well, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon,' he said. I suggested that such a rebalancing might be beneficial for all who were interested in supporting Israel, and he conceded that, yes, 'just maybe' it would.

No comments: