Thursday, April 20, 2006

The "Real McCain" and the Cult Of Authenticity

A truly great article and one we should all keep in mind, for 2008, providing we all live that long.

In the meantime, I must say again how very much America needs authencity right now. It is a virtue that has been lacking, seriously, for a very long time.

But, I am not talking about "contrived authenticity," an oxymoron, if there ever was one.

I refuse to vote for one more lesser-of-the-evil, stage-crafted liar and con-artist.

We need to get real in this country. Let's begin with ourselves and then demand it of our elected officials and anyone they may appoint.

ACCOUNTABILITY!

The "Real McCain" and the Cult Of Authenticity TPMCafe: "


"Can't pass up the debate on the 'real' John McCain. Jon Chait, who zigs when others zag, makes a pretty good case that John McCain can be considered a liberal or moderate, based on some of his actions in the 2002-2003 period, including having dinner with Tom Daschle and hinting that he might switch parties. Ezra Klein and Matt Yglesias disagree in various subtle ways over at TAPPED, and I made the argument against McCain in that magazine last month. (I made The Prospect put the column on line before it came out, because I could feel the 'Oh my gosh, we thought he was one of us, but he's really a right-wing Republican' tide building.)
Now just to be clear, my position has been specifically that McCain's overall record makes him, as I put it, 'a worthy heir to Barry Goldwater's Senate seat.'"

No comments: