Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What We Can Learn from Heroes Like Bobby Kennedy

There is no single human being, who has lived in my lifetime, I miss more than Bobby Kennedy, right now.

The light grew bright and then, flickered for a time...

Who killed our heroes?

Everything else has gone to hell. Perhaps, it is time we examine at the real truth about our generation and our times.

If a generation is judged by its heroes, then my generation has little of which to be ashamed.

What We Can Learn from Heroes Like Bobby Kennedy:

Did anyone actually see 'Bobby'?

I must admit that I did not. I may yet. Right
now, I just can't bear it.

When I think of Bobby, it is as though my heart has been pierced and darkness is approaching.

I have work to do, which I hope will honor him, and the other two of my heroes, long gone from this treacherous dimension.

Heart piercing, while good to a point, cannot be all that helpful when one is busy fighting the good fight, which isn't a fight at all. really, but taxing at times, nonetheless.

In the midst of Oscar buzz, there's little more than a whisper about the film. The critics were, well, critical of the movie for not digging deeper into the character of Robert F. Kennedy, the man my 60-year-old friend called 'the last politician who gave me hope.' But the cinematic story behind the fateful events at Los Angeles' Ambassador Hotel (where presidential hopeful Kennedy was shot on June 4, 1968) provoked a powerful conversation between my friend and me.

I'm 24. I'm new at this political thing, trying to absorb the current scene like a saturated sponge sweeping across a greasy stove. There's so much, and not much that seems real. And if anything, my generation longs for authenticity.

This is why I was so drawn to my older friend, who had proudly marched in demonstrations, fought for equality in education, and even started a grass-roots women's advocacy organization.

She didn't just bemoan the mistakes of the day. She did stuff, and believed that doing stuff could change the world, in part because Bobby told her it could. His visits throughout the nation -- from rural Mississippi towns to inner-city hovels--had unveiled civil injustices, organized crime, and the national poverty crisis, opening the eyes and hearts of a young generation.

No comments: