Friday, May 19, 2006

How the Right Stole the '60s (And Why We Should Get Them Back)

We have some thoughts on this as well.

Later.

AlterNet: How the Right Stole the '60s (And Why We Should Get Them Back):

"It wasn't until I got to college that I heard that the 1960s had 'failed' and that all the Baby Boomers went straight and sold out.

Yet such sweeping proclamations never quite rung true.

Those weren't the people I knew when I was a kid: the aging organic farmers, the people living on and running a commune founded long before I was born, the self-sacrificing teachers and social workers, the lawyers who gave up a big paycheck for a good cause, or my friends' parents, who managed the local Kinko's and were anything but wealthy. Those weren't the adults I later met who sometimes struck me as more radical in their ideals and extreme in their political convictions than my college classmates. Maybe these folks weren't the vanguard of the revolution, but neither were they getting rich from selling it out. Instead, they were just regular people trying to make ends meet and live by their principles"

No comments: