Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fed Up With War, Some Won't Pay Taxes

The only thing that surprises me is that it took this long. That should have been the first thing ant-war activists did.

My Way News - Fed Up With War, Some Won't Pay Taxes: "Peace activists are considering a mass tax resistance campaign next April to step up pressure to end the war in Iraq, Benn said.

Many tax protesters say they redirect the money they withhold to charities. Some, like Joanne Sheehan of Norwich, keep their income below taxable levels.

'I don't see the point of working for peace and paying for war,' Sheehan said.

Gross said he now manages to live on about $15,000 per year by carefully tracking his spending.

He acknowledged the tax resistance movement is too small to stop the war.

'But I think what we're doing is showing the way for people in the anti-war movement,' Gross said. 'I can look myself in the mirror and say at least I'm not supporting it, at least I'm not part of the machine.'

No comments: